Friday, September 7, 2012

MASTER HAROLD...and the boys

As I was doing my reading the other day for my graphic design class, I ran across a reference picture in the book and I thought it was an interesting composition.  I wanted to share my thoughts and the reference picture on my blog. So here we GO....
 
 If you look at the reference picture below, the continent of Africa is the head of a white young man and the inner part of Africa is the head of a black young man. My initial thought was... this is just another slave narrative of some slave fighting their way back to freedom, under my assumption that it was a book cover. However, as I continued to analyze the composition and mentally break down each element. I noticed the head of the white young man is slightly tilted down (as if he is embarrass or ashamed)  and without having to tilt the entire continent of Africa to get that effect...my thoughts were..WOW.. that is very creative. As my eyes scanned across the picture to the head of the black young man, his head is tilted upright (as if he is proud or undefeated). Needless to say, I felt extremely inspired.

Creatively, this reference picture is masterfully crafted. It's simple, it provides all the information, and it's open to interpretation & emotion. Let's consider some of the other elements used here in the picture.  First, color is limited to black and white only. Second, the use of containment is seen with the two young men head's. Lastly, the typeface is bold, large and gradually reduces in size. Overall, I think the reference picture is BRILLIANT!
 
Below is a summery and link I found on the Internet of the play Master Harold....and the boys. I hope I have the opportunity to see Master Harold...and the boys play, but until then, I plan to keep this play on my "must see" play list.  

"Master Harold" is what the black employees are ordered to call young Hally, the son of a well-to-do white couple who own a fashionable tea room. Hally wanders into the establishment one day and sees two black male workers practicing for an upcoming ballroom competition by dancing together. The two employees and Hally exchange kidding rebukes, not meant to offend anyone. But after Hally receives some bad news about his father, he takes out his anger upon the workers. Efforts to smooth out the situation erupt into an all-out racial conflict
 
 
I hope you are inspired as much as I am.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment