Friday, September 7, 2012

KORINNA!


 


This is my concept for project 1 in the my Typography class. As a class, we were assigned to pick a typeface from the International Typeface Corporation (ITC). As you can see, I choose Korinna. We were to research the origin of the typeface and sketch a few concepts. My research led me to the once ravaged country of Germany. Rich in history, I wanted to bring out the colors of the German flag to make a powerful statement. Instantly, I knew that I would draw a women to represent a soft element. Lastly, I  wanted to design a concept that I could leave open for interpretation.


Below is a small paragraph from my research. I give a brief history of the (Korinna) typeface and  provide some information on the designers:

International Typeface Corporation (ITC) Korinna is the work of Edward Benguiat, Victor Ca­ruso and the staff of Photo Lettering, Inc., in New York. The original drawings for the typeface were made by H. Berthold AG in Germa­ny in 1904. ITC Ko­rinna is based on an older German design that was origi­nally cast at the beginning of the 20th centu­ry. This font was named after an ancient Greek female poet, Corinna, whose eloquently spoken words and beauty made her a muse to other ancient authors. ITC Korinna is a clear, legible typeface with a clean design. ITC Korinna is perfect for display and adver­tising typography, as well as for headlines in newsletters and maga­zines. Thanks to their keen reviving of this ever-popular style, computer us­ers can still use this type style today.
 
I am really looking froward to finishing this project. 
 
Until next time...
   




No comments:

Post a Comment